What is Functional Medicine
Functional medicine is an evolution in the practice of medicine that addresses the whole person by engaging the patient and practitioner in a therapeutic partnership. Patients with chronic and complex health issues benefit from this model of patient-centered care. Get ready to experience healthcare in a new way.
Core Principles of Functional Medicine
- Biochemical Individuality An understanding of the biochemical individuality of each human being, based on the concepts of genetic and environmental uniqueness
- Patient-Centered Care Awareness of the evidence supporting a patient-centered over a disease-centered approach to treatment
- Dynamic Balance Strive for a dynamic balance between the internal and external body, mind, and spirit
- Interconnections Recognize the interconnections of internal physiological factors
- Vital Health The realization of health as a positive vitality, not merely the absence of disease, and emphasizing those factors that encourage the enhancement of a vigorous physiology
- Improved Health Span Promotion of organ reserve as the means to enhance the health span, not just the life span, of each patient
The power of the therapeutic partnership lies with the patients who are active participants in the development of their own healthcare plan. Empowered patients feel more in control of their own well-being and are more likely to sustain lifestyle changes while improving their health.
Another way to understand Functional Medicine is to compare it to Conventional Medicine as it is practiced in the United States
- Optimize Health
- Biochemical Individuality
- Cost Effective
- Understanding underlying Mechanisms
- Prevent Disease
- High tech and high touch
- Attack Disease
- Protocol-based/by the book
- Diagnosis based on symptoms
- Detect Disease
- High Tech
“Studying the interaction and interplay of many levels of biological information, systems biology will enable us to not only cure complex disease but to predict an individual’s health and extend the human body’s natural lifespan by preventing diseases. The new era of predictive, preventive and personalized medicine – made possible by application of systems biology – represents a profound shift in the practice of medicine and will reach into many corners of our lives.”
– Dr. Leroy Hood, Kyoto prize-winning biologist and founder of Institute for Systems Biology
Paul is committed to your full recovery and works hard to get you back to your best self. He is knowledgeable in many different areas and works hard at what he does. Paul is amazing and I highly recommend him!
Paul is professional and authentically compassionate. His eagerness to expand his knowledge of medicine is both comforting and inspiring. He is both an excellent acupuncturist and herbalist (not easy to be skilled at both). Highly recommended.
As a fitness trainer I’m always active. The one person I trust and recommend to all of my clients, family and friends is Paul. He is one of the most knowledgeable health and wellness people I know. Simply the best.