Mindful & Compassionate Parenting
-by Lorraine Hobbs, MA.
“Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.” -Elizabeth Stone
So often the demands of life affect our ability to practice patience and deep listening with our children, which can impact the quality of the parent/child relationship. This inattention can contribute to frustration and confusion for both parent and child. By identifying reactive patterns and exploring options for attending to the unplanned stressors in our lives, we can improve our ability to respond skillfully to our own needs and the needs of our children.
Program activities include:
This two-day core skills training introduces participants to the foundations of Mindfulness & Self-Compassion in the context of parenting. In addition, adolescent brain and its role in preparing a teen for life, along with ways to redirect the attention of a child in the midst of a tantrum will be discussed. Participants will explore methods for cultivating emotional resilience, kindness and compassion in their children.
At the end of the training, participants will be able to:
Parenting by all standards is challenging. In this course, participants will have an opportunity to listen deeply and with consideration to their children and to create new and healthy ways of responding to the demands of parenting.
- A deeper awareness of your own stress reactions
- Learning to parent from a receptive, non-reactive state
- An increased ability to respond more skillfully to the unplanned and stressful moments with your child
- Learning to listen with kindness and attention to yourself and your child
- Learning to problem-solve with your child with patience and wisdom
- Increasing your child’s emotional strength and well-being
- Improving your child’s capacity to respond with kindness to others
- Creating healthier and more productive relationships between family members.